The Village has 3 main objectives for implementing the program:
- To reduce the number of injury crashes resulting from right angle and turning collisions
- Reduce the total number of crashes at an intersection overall
- Reduce the number of Red Light Violations at the selected intersections.
Citations will be issued to motorists who run red lights without stopping or
fail to come to a complete stop before turning right on red. Motorists turning right on red are obligated to come to the complete stop, to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalks, and yield to vehicles proceeding through the intersection by way of a green signal. State law mandates motorists stop before the white lined crosswalks, yield and only proceed when safe and permitted to do so.
Motorists will not
be cited if:
- The motorist enters an intersection on a green or yellow light which turns red before they have a chance to make a left turn.
- The vehicle was yielding to an emergency vehicle or lawfully participating in a funeral procession.